Monday, February 8, 2010

A Humbling Experience

I got a copy of the last time I played. It's mixed live by amateurs, so it's not all it could be. And I am not high in the mix.

And I'm not entirely sure that's a bad thing. Because there's a lot of things that are mixed back that are good, but there are a few things I did that pop up here and there that just ... suck. It's clear, I'm not bringing my A game.

The rest of the band ... well, I think the bass could be higher in the mix, both in the house and on tape, but I've always thought he played well. The piano guy, who I've played with on-and-off for nearly a decade, is good. The drummer is just amazing. I should really convert this and put some audio up some time.

If I'm not wrong, they just shut me up when I was going too wild, and in hindsight, yeah, it was the right choice. And, while I like the Albert Lee delay trick, it kinda goes outside the feel here. I must curb my tendency to bend. And when you have a noisy single coil guitar, a compressor and a tremolo pedal, you'll hear wub-wub-wub

But, to be fair to me, there are some nice points. It wouldn't feel so "Sans Shreds" if that wasn't what I was looking for. And I've been wanting to get one of these recordings for a while. It's all part of the learning process.

No comments: