Friday, February 13, 2009

Try to please 'em....



Years ago, Brian Setzer went solo, wanting to turn into 80s Robbie Robertson. Really. The other two joined with Earl Slick to form Phantom, Rocker and Slick. The doghouse bass only worked in the 1980s if you were actually the Stray Cats, Rocker or Phantom, I can't recall, switched to a Longhorn, while ex-Bowie guitarist Slick got himself a whammy-bar-and-humbucker guitar that looked like one. And they shamelessly tried to get on MTV.

And, until I heard about this, I had blissfully forgotten about it all.

It was just that bass that brought it back for me. I'm sure there's a lot of crucial 60s stuff that was pumped out on that kind of retro bass. And if you flip it over and play lefty, there's lots of cutaway to get to the high notes. I would certainly be tempted.

Hat Tip: Premier Guitar . I just pointed you guys out to my jam buddy, letting him borrow the Hot Rod issue.

No comments: