Sunday, August 17, 2008

My Headful of Ideas and their Ultimate Effect



You know I want a paisley guitar, right? Well, wouldn't this be a good one?

That is Trussart, which is the first maker of metal electric guitars that I can think of. I always enjoy going back to them to dream.

This is part of my dream. This is their Graphtech piezo three-saddle bridge. Graphtech's piezo system is called the Ghost system, and you can use it to make your guitar a MIDI guitar. This is a good thing. But you can't get them without getting a Trussart! Or if you can, I don't know it.

So, for those keeping score at home, I'm thinking of a piezo acoustic/MIDI B-Bender Sustainer Tele. A bit crazy, I suppose.

2 comments:

MooPig said...

Wow, all metal... you could weld a cup holder on there! I like how it starts to camo as I get further away... cool, I always wondered if anyone would make them.

So, for those keeping score at home,
-- and we're not, but could be --
I'm thinking of a piezo acoustic/MIDI B-Bender Sustainer Tele. A bit crazy, I suppose.

-- are you writing the specification before it is built?

If built that would definitely be the snizzle. It is too what I have been looking for... but haven't seen...

Dave Jacob said...

I look around and see the techs install a Sustainer in a Tele in Guitar Player, and I think "I want a Sustainer". I listen to Clarence White and think "I want a B-Bender". I listen to my jam partner and his gear and I think "Maybe MIDI would be cool". And I've been playing mostly acoustic and think, since the hardware is the same, going acoustic would be cool, too. So, yeah, I'm starting on the specification now, when it's all free.

Writing the specs after it's done seems like it's too late, doesn't it?

The hitch to me is the power. The Ghost piezo system wants a battery. The sustainer wants a battery. Can I use one battery for both?

Brad Paisley has a Tele that has a lefty bridge, which I have been considering.

I'm considering going Esquire, because removing the big magnet improves harmonics. I'm considering a Lace Sensor in the neck, because I'd get my precious neck PU and still have that harmonic goodness. Of course, I can't really have that and still have the big magnetic driver that is a Sustainer.

And none of this gets into the plexiglass body I'm dreaming of making. Seriously, wouldn't it be cool to be able to see the bender move as you pull it?