Monday, April 28, 2008

Something Old, Something New

If you read anything about guitar history, you'll know that the first electric solidbody was a Rickenbacker "frying pan" lap steel, that amongst the first electric hollowbodies was the Gibson L-5, that Les Paul mounted pickups on a log and tried to sell that to Gibson, and that the first mass-produced solid-body electric spanish guitar was the Broadcaster/Nocaster/Telecaster built by Leo Fender. And, if you read the right books, you'll see that Paul Bigsby created a one-off solid-body for Merle Travis that was probably the first electric guitar as we understand them today.



What you probably don't know is that they're making them again. I'm sure it's out of my budget, but ain't it still pretty?

Speaking of pretty, I need to find a maker. I went to a show with my eldest son on Friday night, and the opening act had a Les Paul copy with a white pearloid top, silver Tele-style knobs (four, like a Les Paul should), and a black headstock. I did not get a good look at the headstock, so I don't know who makes it. I've had Dean, Luna and Daisy Rock suggested, and while there are elements that might pass over, I don't believe it's from any of those. I thought Reverend for a while, but no.

Is there anyone out there in gear-land who can ID a guitar on such a sketchy description?

No comments: