Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Man Capable of Reason

I am a guitarist. I am also a programmer.

I needed to understand the fretboard. I wanted to be able to program with Scaled Vector Graphics and Javascript.

So, I made a tool.

The Guitar Tool. Better name pending.

Name a scale. Or a chord/arpeggio. Choose a tuning. Limit the positions or strings. now, you have all you need to know, right there on your screen.

If you run Firefox or Safari. IE can do some SVG, but not this. I just tested.

So, as I said, this is my tool. I had an idea, I implemented it, and I've done a fair amount of adding and modifying. So, you, the computer- and guitar-savvy audience of this blog, what would you change? What would you add? All comments are appreciated.

ETA Working on the colors for the dots. Are these better?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done. it looks pretty thorough.you may want to think about some contrast in color from the Fingerboard to the dots.

Dave Jacob said...

Figuring out dot color has been a big pain so far. Right now, having their be contrast between notes has been hard enough. Now I have to do contrast with the fingerboard? Argh!

Not that it isn't valid. In fact, it's very true.

And, thanks.