Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Return of the Daughter of How I Found The Woman Tone

The Museum of Music Making has an exhibition called The Art of the Stompbox. This is part of the exhibit, despite not being a stompbox, and this specific picture is from their Flickr gallery.

It is also a Girl Brand guitar. Specifically, the Sushi Girl. The site says this one was inspired by Henry Kaiser, who is involved with the DVD for this exhibition.

There's two words I've heard. First, the pickups come from the Schecter of Schecter Guitar Research and come with a three-way switch for each, controlling the number of windings. Second, these things run about $5000 each. Which makes sense. They're works of art, right?

5 comments:

Andy Stone said...

Total works of art! It's a shame that most of the pages of his web site have been taken down. I don't even know if he is still making them.
http://www.girlbrand.com/

Dave Jacob said...

Too true. I don't think the site has changed since I first saw it, which was a decade ago?

Stratoblogster said...

I spoke with a guy in Tucson listed as one of the Girl Brand dealers who told me that James "Chris" Larsen just makes guitars when he feels like it. Which ain't so often lately. Larsen does the inlay work, and Janet K. Miller does most of the other graphic art work. Although many of the image links are broken at the main site, Janet as some good pics at her site:

http://www.janetkmiller.com/

wayne carroll said...

Girl Guitars are really pretty kitschie IMHO. Cool concept but not really much fun to play. I found the necks to be a bit weird. Kind of like Mr. Larson himself whom I knew for a short time in the mid-90's. Not to rag on him or his guitars. I just think that a guitar should be playable first and a "work of art" second.

Dave Jacob said...

That's interesting to know, Wayne. There is a market for non-tool instruments and that's OK, although I do believe that first-and-foremost they should play good before they look good.