Friday, June 13, 2008

Oh My Goodness!

I am working on another Alt-Country post. I will get to that later. Right now, I just must vent.

Driving the Speed Limit on an Interstate Highway is Dangerous

Normally, I commute at 75 MPH, but the last couple of days, I've been going down to 70, trying to up the gas mileage. And I spent most of my time looking in the rear-view. Especially when the guy from Ohio who looked like Horatio Sans dressed up as Mario — Mason, if his license plate is any indicator — who wanted to drive his mini-van into my trunk.

People, if you want to be in the slow lane, drive like it's the freakin' slow lane!

I thought about pulling onto the shoulder. I thought about moving to the fast lane and standing on the brakes. I finally took an exit just to get the guy out from behind me. What kind of ass-holistic driving is that?

2 comments:

patrick said...

I've been trying to slow down a bit, too, given that most of my commute is on the interstate. My favorite highway game works like this:
1. I see my exit coming up, so I take my foot off the gas to slow down.
2. Opponent behind me wants to roar by at unsafe speeds. I continue to coast, not threatened by the enormous Ford logo looming in my hatchback.
3. Opponent passes me, occasionally applying obscene gestures and/or horn to display clear displeasure at my behavior.
4. Opponent takes exit in front of me. Opponent stops at red light, fuming.
5. I continue to coast to a gradual stop, often arriving at the light just as it turns green with just enough spare momentum to make the turn. Opponent stomps the gas pedal, burns a few more dinosaurs.

This game also works well on city streets, especially with timed lights. The opponent gets more and more upset and burns more and more dinosaurs; I continue at the same pace, somehow always showing up at the intersection right about the time the light turns green and my opponent stomps the gas.

Now, if I could only figure out the rules to the "hide in my opponent's blind spot" game that so many others seem to be playing.

Dave Jacob said...

I drive an automatic, so the coast thing wouldn't do as much for me.

But as you know, past a certain town (I'd make a reference to Cedar, but it'd likely be too obscure to be understood) you can split off the Interstate and run straight and parallel on a US highway. Much less traffic. Much less stress.