Saturday, March 8, 2008

On one sweet day, he stood beside the King

Netflix has gifted me with The Legendary Guitar of James Burton. Who is James Burton?



James Burton is the man who shows Bruce Springsteen who's boss, starting about 2.5 minutes in.

He's played for Elvis. He's played for Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris, for Ricky Nelson, for Dale Hawkins, for Merle Haggard and Buck Owens and Gillian Welch and Roy Orbison (see above) and, quite famously, Elvis Presley.

(I meant Elvis Costello for the first one. Wasn't I clear?)

It's been useful. I've been picking up chicken pickin', which was beyond my capabilities before I got the video. Next on the queue is the dead thumb. maybe.

Which will involve me putting on the metronome and hitting the E on the click for a good long time.

Here's the part I want to blog about.

He rocks a .009-.038 set of strings. Top three are .009 .010 .012. .012-.056 is how I roll. So his G is my E.

Again, I think I need a new Telecaster so I can do this stuff.

And I have tentative approval for one from K once the stimulus money comes in May.

No comments: