Tuesday, January 22, 2008

About Me

I'm a music geek.

I mean it. A complete obsessing collecting music geek.

I'm a guitarist, a mandolin player, a limited harp blower, an occasional steel player, and a fiddle owner. I listen to and collect everything from old blues and ragtime to recent thrash and techno. I used to have original wax for the first hip-hop record, "Rapper's Delight" by the Sugarhill Gang. I have listened to Metal Machine Music and Trout Mask Replica from front to back. And I will do so again.

My problem is, I don't really have a direction.

I'm interested in flatpicking fiddle tunes like Doc Watson and Clarence White.

I'm interested in knocking out four-to-the-bar like Freddie Green.

I'm interested in playing blues mandolin like Yank Rachell.

I'm interested in plugging and rocking out. I'm even somewhat interested in hitting the higher edge of technique, like Mattias IA Eklundh and Michael Lee Firkins.

I'm interested in blowing my face off like Magic Dick on "Whammer Jammer". And I'm interested in having a cool blues name like Magic Dick.

I'm interested in being Richard Thompson, guitarist and occasional harmony singer, to some great Sandy Denny.

I've always been like that. I was too influenced by Last Waltz, where you saw every Band member switch off on instruments (except for Robbie) and most of 'em take on singing, as well as going from deep blues and rockabilly to jazz-influenced pop. I thought that I'd make a band called The Ringers and that we'd be able to cover a range from Metallica's thrash to the tabla-and-acoustic-guitar of Oregon. And I can do that, if all I want to do is sit in my den with my instruments and play with myself.

So, right now, I need to find someone to play with, and with that, some direction. So, this blog will be me talking about the musics I think are cool, the instruments I still desperately want, and in general, my attempt to find at least a semi-regular gig with other musicians.

In short, it's me finding direction.

No comments: